Saturday 10 September 2011

Charity

I care about the world around me and understand that no matter how difficult my life can get there will always someone in need of more help than myself. With that in mind I am committed to supporting one or two charities per year either through giving up my time or through donations.

This year I have given up some of my time to help the Muscular Dystrophy Campaign and the RSPB. The former charity cares for people and the latter cares for the environment. It's good to care both about people and the environment that people live in. Both charities are excellent and employ passionate staff and volunteers. Having actually made time to meet people from both charities has allowed me to feel more personally involved.

If you have never worked for a charity I highly recommend it. It is very rewarding when you can see something positive happen as a result of your time and effort. There are very few things more satisfying than knowing you have really made a very valuable contribution to the world around you. Even if you do as little as make regular contributions to a charity or frequently give blood, what you are doing is still just as important as giving up all your time to help others.

I know people say charity begins at home but open your eyes and see how lucky you and your family really are. We are lucky to live in fact because the world around us has such wonderful things to offer. Just walk out your front door and consider how lucky we are in the UK to live in such a well organised society. Alive in this world is a great place to be.

If you think about stroke what do you think about? Old people? People unable to use one side of their body? People that walk with a limp and look a bit odd? People who can't talk properly? My uncle had a stroke when he was in his early 30s. Such a young man! He had his own business and supported his family financially and emotionally. He went all of a sudden from a normal man to someone who was helpless. He was lucky to have been able to recover but it took a long time and his life will still never be the same.

Stroke victims really have a battle on their hands to recover. Their world gets turned upside down and needs the loving support of health organisations and family. They need speech therapy and physiotherapy and psychiatric support to try to lead a new and normal life.

I am going to do an Abseil to raise money for Stroke. Please go to this following link if you would like to sponsor me for this event: http://bit.ly/pP8LoD.

No comments:

Post a Comment